January 8th - February 28th
Thursdays 6pm - 8pm
Saturdays 10am - 1pm
No class on February 14th (Valentines Day)
In this course, students will work from classical sculptures in the method of sight size to create realistic oil paintings from life. There is a long tradition of artists working from classical casts to hone their skill in drawing and painting. Casts projects provide a platform for us to talk about a number of drawing and painting principles fundamental to becoming a proficient painter of realism.
- How to draw proportionally accurately using comparative measurements, vertical and horizontal alignments, and the sight size technique.
- How to organize your values both on your pallet and in your painting to produce a realistic and accurate light effect and representation of form.
- How to identify and organize the temperature shifts seen in nature to create a realistic sense of color and temperature.
- How to utilize a shadow line to describe the variety of turning planes present in nature
- How to organize your edge quality throughout the cast to create a sense of atmosphere depth, and focal point.
Instruction will be given through handouts, lectures, live demos and daily one-on-one critiques. Because the majority of instruction is on an individual basis, all skill levels are encouraged to join this class. The goal of the courses and workshops at ZAFA is help each student understand the principals of drawing and painting and improve at their own level.
- Pallet knife
- Refined linseed oil
- Medium cups (small cups for holding painting medium)
- Brush cleaner jar.
- Pallet, preferably glass or wood
- Pre-primed and stretched canvas 18”x24”
- Lead whit (flake white, cremnetz white)
- Naples yellow light
- Yellow Ocher
- Alizarin crimson
- Ivory black
- Cobalt blue
- Raw umber
- An active desire to learn
This course is $314.16
We believe that art is more fun when shared with a friend, bring a friend who has not taken one of our courses before and you will both receive a %20 discount off of the listed workshop price.
To Sign up for this workshop or to receive more information, please contact us via e-mail or phone, or send a message in the form below.